Monday, September 15, 2008

A little more chaos.



So, I figured I take the background a little further. Chaos happens so often that we have to make time allowances for the inevitable. "So how much Chaos Time do you think we need today?" is the question often asked. The thing is, we are reasonable, intelligent people, capable of finding our way around, but we get distracted too easily.

Our last road trip was to Vancouver, B.C. back in April. I was disappointed in my spring break and it was almost done. I called up Sabrina and expressed to her my need to do something. She asked what I wanted to do and I mentioned Vancouver, not thinking she would just get up and go tomorrow like I wanted to. Sure, she said and I picked up a map on the way to get her and then we were on our way. The arrival was fairly uneventful, we managed to make our way into the city, find a place to park and started walking around. Of course the first thing we wanted to do was eat. We ask some locals at a coffee shop the best place to get some sushi. We had a major craving. They directed us and we started walking in that direction. We walk a couple of blocks and didn't see much. I reach in my bag to grab the map. To my surprise it was gone. How did we lose the map within 5 minutes of our arrival? Who knows. We turned around to head back to the coffee shop in hopes of recovering it. Nope. It was gone. Ah, what were we gonna do, we didn't really need it anyway, but it was typical. We headed back into the direction of supposed sushi. In a new city for 10 minutes and we had already discovered the seedy side. We obviously didn't belong, but kept walking anyway. Ok, we ended up in China town. Interesting (crazy looking mushrooms, dried fish, hanging meat and a very unusual odor) but not what we were looking for. So after indulging our curiosity a bit we turn around.

When we got back to our original downtown location we discovered that all the restaurants had closed after the initial lunch hour. Being Americans we would have never imagined that this would happen, but it did and now we were STARVING! Desperate, we headed back to the car to eat some delicious avocado chocolate pudding and Mary's gone crackers to tide us over. Yes, we finally did get our sushi (see the pics) and had a great time the rest of the day. Though I must comment of the crazy drivers. Seriously. I don't think it helps that I have NY plates. I'm convinced it creates aggression in others. We also got to see the amazing cherry blossoms in bloom that day. It was a really fun day and of course we got a bit turned around going home...all we could do was laugh.

I told this story to sometime after I had gotten home and the response I got from the individual I was talking to was "and that was fun?!" Yes, it was fun, very fun! Things never go as planned, but who cares! I think sometimes we all get caught up in our expectations of what something will be, but if you just expect to have a good time no matter what, you won't be disappointed.

No comments: